Thursday, September 28, 2006

gift

What gift do you wish you could give (if reality was not a factor) to the most important person in your life?

I thought this one would be very easy and I came up with an answer right away. I couldn't post immediately so I was left to think about it all day. Well, the more I thought, the more complicated this became for me. SO...

First, My Mother came into mind as the most important person in my life. Then, of course, my husband and children popped into my head. While all parties are equally important, they all have different levels of importance. For todays blog prompt, I chose to concentrate on my Mother because she has been around me the longest.

Step one complete....Step two..the gift.
For selfish reasons, I chose to give my Mother the gift of being here in CA with me and my family. She could watch her Grandchildren grow and see them whenever she wanted. See, Mom lives in Ohio and only sees the children once (maybe twice) a year. Then I thought, well, if she were here, she would miss the other grand children and that's not real cool just because I'm being selfish. But, I would buy her a house, then furnish it, then get her whatever she needed while she was here, purchase airline tickets if she wanted to go home for visits, etc. Then...

About 2 - 3 months ago, Mom sent a newspaper clipping telling me about this trip that she was interested in. Three days, sight seeing in New York, a bus load of people and she was excited and wanted to go with a friend. Mom had never been to New York, Dad didn't want to go, so (behind her back) I arranged for her to go on this trip. I called and paid for her trip because I wanted her to do something that she had never done, see other places, and have a great weekend away. I live so far away from her and I don't get to do a lot of nice (daily) things for her. After she threatened me with bodily harm (kicking my you-know-what), she thanked me, went on her trip and had a fabulous time!!!

So it occurred to me. The gift I would give my Mother...Absolutely anything she wanted. If I was able and it made her happy, I would give her anything she asked for...simple as that.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A great answer.

loonyhiker said...

That is such a sweet thing to do. I didn't appreciate my mother the way I should have until after she passed away. I'm glad to hear people doing things for their parents before they die!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was really sweet to read and you sound like a generous person.

Meg said...

Ok, well first of all, you made me cry. Second of all, you make the rest of us look bad. Third of all, WHAT AN AWESOME GIFT!!!

I know your mom reads your blog, so this post is an additional gift to her. Wonderful!