Wednesday, November 08, 2006

HOT ROD, PINK FLOYD,and HEY 19

MUSIC—What are your early memories of music? What kind did you/do you prefer? Have your tastes changed over the years?

This was WAY fun for me to remember. For some reason, these three memories all include one specific apartment that my parents lived in when I was small.

I have no idea how old I was but it was old enough to appreciate some music...definitely under the age of 10. My father was the one who listened to music in our home. I can clearly remember him calling me to lay across my parent's bed, head on the pillows, at which point he put these HUGE headphones on my ears. These are the 70's version, puffy foam of some sort, and they were WAY bigger than my head. He would make me close my eyes and he wanted me to focus on the different instruments that were playing, isolated and together. No wonder the music sounded so good...it was going through every pore on my head!!! Hot Rod Stewart and Pink Floyd always bring the memory of gigantic foamy headsets to the fore-front of my brain!!!

Another time, could have been the next day for all I know, both Mom and Dad brought back a record (HOLY SMOKES) for me to listen on the record player. I couldn't believe I got my very on 45!! (I am cracking myself up remembering what a huge dork I must have been :-) )Anyway, the title was Hey 19 and I couldn't get over the fact that they bought a record of a song that I didn't even know. They made me play it and I was excited that I did know it...had only been singing the wrong words and didn't know I knew it!!! (YES, CONFIRMED DORK)

The third (apparently dorkish memory) is of my cousins and I. There are three of us and we are fairly close together in age. Our parents must have been together for the day or something but the three of us decided that we were going to make up a dance and put on a show for our parents. (These days, choreograph.) I can still remember some of the motions to Pat Benetar's "Another One Bites the Dust."

My tastes in music have changed as I now listen to country but I can't resist driving in the car or cleaning my house and jamming to the good stuff. Anyone remember The Little River Band???

4 comments:

carin.c said...

Great memories... love that you were singing the wrong words (we've all done that I think!) LOL!

Meg said...

NO WAY!!!! You like Little River Band??? I didn't know that anyone else on the planet had even heard of them! Back in college I had the difficult task of finding a CD by them to replace my mom's tape that I had worn out, lol!

Love your dorky memories!

*love2scrap* said...

I remember those huuuuge ear phones! ear helmets, they should have been names! and yep, I like the LRB!

*love2scrap* said...

I remember those huuuuge ear phones! ear helmets, they should have been names! and yep, I liked the LRB!