Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Joy of Love, Day 2

I just got caught up on Day 1, I wrote it but it needed fine tuning before publishing it, and it's already Day 2. Is it possible to be behind already????
Day 2 prompt:
How They Look
This prompt just makes me laugh. Anyone who knows me or has been around my children for any length of time will tell you that sometimes they look ridiculous. This doesn't hurt my feelings in the least bit and I'm actually ok with it. Crazy? Maybe!

YES, I am "that parent" that doesn't care how my children dress when they leave the house or go to school. I'm just not! I have been spotted at the grocery store and Target with Superman, Batman, Tinkerbell, Belle, Spiderman and Cinderella just to name a few. My children wear snow boots in the summer, rain boots just because, clothes that don't come close to matching, and tank tops over shirts because they can't decide which shirt they like better that day.

For school, my only requirement is that their body is covered and they have shoes on their feet. I do the quick check in the morning when they first come out of their rooms, see that they are ready for their day, and let the thought disappear. Half the time, I can't tell you specifically what they had on but I know they were dressed! And let me tell you, some "doozy" outfits have walked out of this house.

I'm almost positive that anyone who sees my children can (hopefully) tell that my children dress themselves. I have encouraged it from the time they were small. I may not have liked what they picked but who am I to tell them that polka dots and stripes don't go together. (Just a sidenote, they now sell outfits with a striped top with polka dot bottoms. Funny to me!!)

Now, don't get me wrong. If we need to go to an event that requires me pulling my "style" card, I will. When my children hear me say that they look "ridiculous," they don't argue but go in and make another choice. Sometimes it's for the better, sometimes not so much.

My children have mastered their own look. Lately, Nicholas's style is skinny jeans with a tee shirt. He went through a phase where he would not wear jeans. Dead of winter, this kid is in shorts. In pre-school, his favorite shirts were Hawaiian, to him, his Fancy shirts. Last year, it was rare that you saw him without his favorite pink shirt with a volleyball on the front. Why it is his favorite is a story for another day but I had to buy three because he wore it so often!

Isabella's look is just out there. She wears jeans under her dresses, tanks over shirts, skirts over leggings, three shirts at one time but NONE of it that I would have pieced together. That's not to say that it doesn't look good on her because for her, she makes it work. I shake my head but she pulls it off!

Gabriella's look always involves stripes. She loves them. She has more striped pants than I can count. Striped shirts and striped tights too but lately it's been the solid shirt with the striped pants.

My children may always look a little mis-matched and people may look twice at their outfits, wonder how I could've dressed them in "that," but to me, it isn't an issue. They are very independent, capable of making their own choices, not afraid to try new things, and I am free to worry about if homework was done and if they all ate before leaving and starting their day!

This photo was taken Spring of 2010, Pismo beach. Bella with several shirts on, grey sweats, and boots. Nicholas looking good. Gabby with striped pants, and a striped shirt under her camo shirt.

No comments: