Thursday, August 16, 2007

What he didn't see...

The time has come.... Nicholas started Kindergarten Monday morning. (sniff) He has been looking forward to this momentous day for a long time now. He knew that as soon as we got back from Grandma Cheyann's house, the big day was right around the corner. I have been telling him that he can't talk about it and that I didn't want him to say the "bad word that starts with a K." Of course he thinks I'm funny!!!! He says it and runs as I chase him pretending to be mad...ending with a tackle, tickles, and lots of laughs.

Anyway, Sunday night I had a talk with Jeffrey. There was NO WAY ON THIS EARTH that I could take him to his class without making a complete fool of myself. I cried at orientation!!! This would not be good!!! Jeff calls me a sissy-la-la but he is probably right.

Monday morning...I only have to hold my emotions for 30 minutes while he gets ready and out the door. PRESSURE!!! First, Nicholas informs me that he thinks that he has grown overnight. His head is on the pillow and his feet are on the blanket at the bottom of the bed. NOT COOL!!! He's up, dressed (he picked his outfit), ate breakfast, brushed his teeth, and got matching shoes on his feet. "READY" he yells. He straps his backpack on his back (I retreat to the kitchen because I can feel it coming), comes to give me kisses (I wipe my face ASAP), and I wish him luck on his first day.

A preschool parent walks in just as he is walking out and she gets to witness this whole thing with me. Nicholas turns, waves, and literally runs out the door!!!! OMG!! I made it 30 minutes but lost it on the 31st. I'm crying because my baby boy is heading off to his first day of kindergarten, Julie is teared up because she sees this scenerio in her near future (I'll be there for you Julie!), and Nicholas is as happy as can be.

He ended up having a fabulous day. His teacher said he did great, a friend called while watching his daughter and Nicholas have lunch together and reported that he was happy and behaving. Thank goodness!!!

Later that evening after coming home from Grandma and Papa's, Nicholas tells me a story about how when his friend Anthony (a year older) went to Kindergarten, his Mom was sad and cried so hard. I said, "Did your Mom cry?" He said, "No Mom. You did pretty good!" Thank you son!!!

Our Big Boy!!!!

Walking to class

Signing in






2 comments:

Robin said...

CONGRATULATIONS NICHOLAS! And great job Michelle holding it back until he left. Gotta tell you I am sitting at work reading this and crying. Hopefully no one comes in and I won't have to explain that I am crying because my friend on the West Coase sent her baby to his first day of Kindergarten yesterday! Amazing that he is old enough for school already - seems like just yesterday we were on the phone debating rather or not you were doing the pregnancy test right that confirmed he was on his way! Yet another reminder of how fast it all goes by!

Magz said...

OH Mich....
My day is coming...on Sept.3 in fact...my little baby girl is going to pre-school, half days, 5 days a week. I was totally welling up reading your post. I am PROCRASTINATING washing her uniform (yes, a private school) because then I can put off thinking about it just one more day.
Well done to you for holding it in until he left!

And by the way...we can be sissy-la-la's together :)