Monday, March 28, 2011

Shamrock half

Looking back on March of 2010, I realized I hadn't written about the half marathon this year. Not that it's memorable or that I did outstanding but next year, I'll read this again and want to remember.
The 13 mile race usually translates into a weekend away with our family, a couple of our friends and their families, a hotel, a great dinner, lots of laughs, and oh yea, the run. This year seemed completely different for me.
The same:
1. There was a hotel room.
2. There were great friends.
3. There was a great dinner.
4. There were some good laughs.
Different:
1. Some of our friends weren't able to go this year.
2. You had to run the entire 13.1 this year because the relay was taken away due to construction in downtown Sacramento.
3. I went alone. Jeffrey wasn't feeling well, the weather was cold and windy with a great possibility of rain, and for the 4 of them to wait for me to finish while standing in bad weather just didn't seem like a good time for anyone.
After the run, I really started to feel bad. I always feel that I push my body to the limit sometimes but for the first time, I felt like my body was pushing back. Age? Not training? Low blood sugar? No sleep due to bachelorette party directly across the hall? No breakfast? Who knows?
What I do know is I texted Jeffrey at mile 11 and told him I was never going to do another half marathon. I felt beaten!
My goal was to beat my first half marathon time. I told myself where I needed to be at each mile marker in order to keep myself on track.
At mile 9 I was 5 minutes ahead
mile 10, 3 minutes ahead
mile 11, 1 minute ahead facing an uphill
mile 12, 2 minutes behind
at the finish, a whole 4 minutes behind my goal.

Overall, not a good race for me but at least I finished. SEVERAL times during the run, I had to talk myself out of just walking back to the hotel. "NO, keep going and finish this crazy thing you started." "This is your last one, just finish it!"
Well, finish I did. Although I swore I was done, the next day while resting on the couch, I researched half marathons and tried to find another one.
I now have a new goal....I gotta beat my original time.
Better start training :-)

No comments: